Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Diaper Bag

I finally finished it!!! I can't believe how long it took me. This is the fabric that I was shopping for at Material Girls ( I added thier blog and web site to my blog if you want o check them out) during the Shop Hop, which is when I entered the drawing that onw me my new baby lock sewing machine. I believe I started three+ weeks ago, but have had many things come up. So last night Taylor couldn't sleep. We tried praying, reading, tv, hot shower(at 1:30 in the morning), and finally I had her take a sleeping pill. So I thought if I'm going to be up, and I need to not fall asleep, I might as well sew. So I sewed until 2 am and then went to bed. I am so happy with how it turned out. I used oil cloth, which is a vinyl cover fabric, the vinyl is in a matte finish. I also lined it in the oil cloth so I could wipe and sanitize the whole bag. I hate thinking about the germs that are on my bags and purses after going to fast food resturantes, or anywhere for that matter, and wanted to be able to wash my new bag, so instead of spending $100+ for one, I made one. Only the pockets are lined with regular fabric to cut back on the bulk, and make it possible to even gather the fabric. It was defientley harder to sew in oil cloth and has many inperfections(due only to the thickness of the fabric. Ya right, Im just not a perfectionists). But I would do it again, I can't wait for Olivia to be born so I can use it, as for now on to making up a pattern for my car seat cover, wish me luck.


P/S- this wasn't the fabric I was going to originally use, but of course I waited to long to but it and it was gone, but I love this combination too!!

7 comments:

kennyandkristin said...

Love it!!! Seriously, is there anything that you can't do?

Melissa said...

Very Cute!! Next time we have a baby I know what you can give me :) Just kidding (kinda!) The videos were fun to watch. Tell everyone hi! Love you guys.

Julie Toone said...

I am so impressed! I did have to spend $100 on one! How are you feeling? I hate that last little bit. Well now I know we need to get together...I forgot you were crafty. I lost all of my creative energy when Jake died and Im still trying to recover it...maybe if we hang out I can get some of it back. I hope all is well. I will tell you the more kids you have the easier it gets:)

Stephanie said...

Seriously Tracie, it is an awesome diaper bag (to match the owner). Recognizing the talents that other people have is such a wonderous thing to me. You are talented in so MANY ways - thank you for being you! :D

The Sorensen Family said...

WOW! You got some skill! That is so cute!! I wish I was that talented!! I can't wait to see her!! It is coming up :)

Kim said...

That turned out so cute. Last time I saw it you were just sewing the stripe on the side panel. It looks great!

Russ and Nat said...

Wow- I am very impressed.....that is WAY cute!! Who knew that diaper bags cost $100???!?!? I might have to start making one right now, and then it might have a chance of being finished in 6 months....