Sunday, December 27, 2009

The award for the first broken bone in the Maynard family goes to Konnor


So the day after Christmas, I was watching my sisters kids(her and her hubby were working at Deer Valley) and decieded to take everyone sledding to get them out of the house. Get everyones(6 kids) clothes on and head out. We are at the park for 15 mins. when I hear a blood curteling scream that is my name. Not "mom" but "Tracie". So I open the car door(I was reading a book in my car and had the window cracked, in my fairness the book was dur and I've checked it out so much they won't let me check it out anymore so I was trying to finish it) and run as I see a man running as well(not good). When we get to the bottom Konnor is hurt bad, Tay is scream that she broke him(they had gone off a jump and crashed, he just fell off and would have been fine, but she landed on him and pulled and twisted his leg as she fell, I'm just glad that he didn't have a head injury on top of this)The man happened to be an EMT and checked him out for neck injuries. We moved him to the car where we realized that more than just a bad bruise had occurred. A nurse came over and looked at the bone as well and said it looks broken, not just fractured. So I Scream for the other 4 kids to get in the car and I take them to my sisters home and head for the new hospital. They immediately get us a room(The nurse even helped the cleaning person make the bed and clean up so they could look at him), I didn't get told until later that a femur brake is very serious because the femoral(s/p) artery and other veins can be severed and cause internal bleeding. I felt bad butting in front of people in the waiting room until I was told this). They again check for head and neck injuries and find none so they start an IV and give him some Morphine. Take x-rays, and then send us to Primary's in an ambulance. (they had to splint his leg so that the bone would shift and severed the artery. He had to have a neck brace and be on a back board as per Primarys request). For and ER visit this all happened very fast, under 3 hrs. At Primary the ped ortho surgeon checked him out and said it was a very bad spiral break and that we had 2 options; 1- A Spica cast(what was done) a cast to set the bone and keep him immobile, 2- rods up his bone and a splint cast.(he felt like his bones were just to small after seeing him in person to put the rods in. Off to surgery and 1 hr. later he is done. We came home today and are adjusting to having to do everything for him. The cast(will post pics when he will let me) goes from the ankle of the injured leg, up to his arm pits and down the other leg to his knee, with a rod separating his knees. He has a cut out for using the bathroom. It weighs about 20 lbs. so it makes his tiny frame look huge and is really heavy and awkward. He will be in this about 8 weeks. He gets a wheel chair and gets to do nothing but play video games and watch TV(may get boring really quick, he might have to start liking to color). He can eat most foods on his own, but we have to be really careful no crumbs get down his cast so they won't cause irritation. He was a total champ the whole time, every Dr.(6 in all) that saw him kept telling me they were putting him in their books for the braves kid ever. They said even with drugs he should be in a lot of pain, when he talked he did sound on the verge of tears, but he only cried when they moved or touched his leg. He even stopped crying while on the sledding hill and then again once we were in the car. When we got to the Riverton Hos. he asked if they could just come out to the car because he didn't want me to pick him up. Another great thing was when they were putting his IV in, they had 5 males in the room ready to hold him down(they said this is normally needed), I said they would scare him more if he thought they were going to touch his leg, so one held his arm really tight, but he didn't even flinch or whimper, they were totally amazed. I was just honest and told him it would hurt for 3 seconds and I counted and it was over. Another funny story to show how brave he was, while taking x-rays, they had to move him around which was painful even with the drugs and he whimpered a little, and he wanted me to be in the room, but I couldn't, so I tried to take his mind off it by telling him to smile for his picture, and he actually did, they all started laughing. They only thing besides his leg being moved that he was sad about, was that he was really thirsty, and even at the 1st Hos. they wouldn't let him have a drink or ice chips. It was really hard to have him asks me for a drink and not be able to give him what he needed when he was already i so much pain. He is doing well, but still won't let us move or touch his leg and the muscles are still tight around the brake holding it in place, until it starts to fuse in 3 0r 4 days. Thank you to my neighbors the Pearson's who were there with an injury themselves, they took my keys home so Tay could get in the door and the Dumont's for going to the hospital to get my car. And for Dan, for staying the night at the hospital so I could sleep(like that happened, but it was nice still the same). For my family for taking care of my kids as Dan was gone hunting. And thank you to my Heavenly Father for keeping his injuries minimal, I know that he could have easily died or been paralyzed. And for helping us both be brave, especial Konnor, he was just amazing.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, my gosh Tracie! That is soo so sad. I am glad things turned out ok. How scary. I can't even imagine what I would have done or how I would have felt being the mother in that situation. I am so sorry.
When I was reading your post, the thought of Joseph Smith came to my mind and how brave he was as a little boy with his leg and all. I know Heavenly Father was looking after Konnor just as he dis Joseph.
Take care and I hope everything goes well Konnor and the rest of the family. Please let us know if you need anything.

The Tenney's said...

What a brave kid! There is nothing than worse than having your kids sick or hurt. I'm so glad he'll be okay!!!!

Doug and Lisa said...

Wow! It sounds like you were super brave Tracie. I can't imagine how scary that was for you. Good for you Konnor, way to be brave.....now let your mom take a picture of it...lol, jk. Looks like you had a super fun Christmas, though. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Jadie said...

Tracy, I don't know if you remember me BUT...I'm Jaden's Mom. Anyway, I was in the hospital on Saturday with pneumonia. I saw you and wondered if everything was ok but I was too sick to bother asking my Husband to go ask you! I'm so glad I found your blog because I've been worried about you and your Family.
Hope all is well and Koonnor has a quick recovery!

Jadie Kendrick Banks

Blackham Family said...

Oh my word so scary. But so glad everything turned out ok. I will keep you guys in our prayers let me know if you need anything.

Esther said...

Poor Konnor! This little guy has been through a lot! I'm glad he is ok, that must have been so scary!

Tami said...

Tracie, Oh my goodness! I'm so glad Konnor is okay! You are super mom for keeping it all together like you did!

Kim said...

Love you Tracie. Watching Konnor in pain must have been really hard. What a trooper he was.

Brandon and Carly said...

That sounds like no fun at all! I can't even imagine having a big cast like that! I hope you guys are hanging in there!