Sunday, May 31, 2009

Come up to the Mountain



We just got back from the conference center. We were watching the Oquirrh Mountain Temple celebration. Taylor had the once in a life time oppurtunity to participate in this celebration. It has been 2 months of a lot of practicing but it was beyond worth it. I knew it would be good, we Mormons tend to over do things!! But it was better than I imagined. The spirit was so strong(at least it was for me) that I had tears in my eyes most of the night. I can't even begin to explain the feelings that I had. I had one of those days were every aspect of my life was stretched and I was feeling overwhelmed I literally had only been home for 10 min that day to change my clothes. I went with an exhausted attitude and wasn't prepared for the spirit that was about to boom bared me. It was a filled with music and dancing that showcased the history of the church coming to and in Utah today. Our stake celebrated the railriad coming to Utah, they wore pioneer clothing. She was right up front the whole time and very easy to spot even though there were 100+ kids from our stake on the stage at the same time(and we were on the opposite side of the stage one row down from the very back of the balcony). All the performances were totally amazing and the kids did so great and were so well behaved and organized. It ran like a well oiled clock. I had so many emotions and thoughts that I wanted to share as I sat there watching, but now it is 1:30 am and my mind is going blank. I was greatful for our costumes, I didn't have to make or buy any thing, and after seeing some of the elaborate costumes of the others I was grateful even more(the church actually rented some from other organizations, some from other countries that had to be shipped here). I don't want to spoil to much because I beleive they are making a DVD, as well I would hope that it as well as the Draper one(it was Fri. night) will be broadcst during the next sessions of conference. But at the end the temple comes up from behind to stand atop this big MT. they constructed and it was so beautiful. My Great Aunt died suddenly this week, and isn't a member, and I feel so lucky to know the whole truth about Heavenly Fathers plan for us. To know that there is life after death and that we can be eternal families. I know my mom's family really struggles with death because they don't have this truth. I can't wait until Taylor can do her baptism/confirmation next year. She was really close to her. In fact she sent Taylor a very special gift just a week ago. She is the 5th generation to have it. Her mother my Great Grandmother was given it by her aunt in 1912. She said she wanted Taylor to have something that was so special to her. I can't think of a better way that Tay could show her how much she loves it(she passed away before she recieved Taylor's thank you card) than to give her back something that she treasures and that is her eternal family. I have a testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ, for the love that our Savior has for each of us. The blessings we recieve for being diligent servants unto him. I know that he is waiting for me, and I hope and pray that he will help me to be the person that I need to be, so I can live in his presence again. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

Jylaire said...

What an amazing experience! I just got our reservations to see the new temple, and can't wait to let the kids see their first temple inside!

Esther said...

I'm so happy you had such a neat time there, and that Taylor was able to be a part of it! I will be excited to see the performance on DVD.

Kim said...

What a great experience for Taylor. I can remember specific events during my youth that helped shape my testimony. I am sure this is one such experience for her. I would love to see the DVD when you get it.

I'm glad you have such a great perspective about your great aunt's death, and that's great Taylor will be able to be baptized for her.

Doug and Lisa said...

I'm so glad you got to go. I have so many good memories when I was teenager that helped build me testimony. I've missed those over the past few years and that's why I wanted to be a part of this celebration. I knew it would be so special. Even during the dress rehearsal you could feel how strong the spirit was. The church is TRUE!